ingredients for 4 people:
- 400 g pork or turkey breast
- 2 slices of Westphalian pumpernickel
- 60 g carrots
- 60 g red peppers
- 60 g yellow peppers
- 60 g pointed cabbage
- 5 medium-sized mushrooms
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil (should be highly resistant to heat)
- 1 splash Westphalian country-style beer
- 1 tbsp sugar-beet syrup from the Rhineland
- 1 tbsp balsamic cider vinegar
- white pepper
- salt (optional)
- Thinly slice the meat; cut the pumpernickel lengthwise into 4 mm thick strips and then into thirds; chop the carrots, peppers, pointed cabbage and mushrooms into slices or julienne strips.
- Heat a little oil in a wok and brown the meat, stirring constantly. Keep stirring; add the carrots and, gradually, the rest of the vegetables.
- Add country-style beer, as well as vinegar and pepper, to taste.
- Finally, mix in the pumpernickel strips and heat gently.
Roasted sunflower seeds are a wonderful accompaniment. You may add salt to taste.
This post is also available in Deutsch.